Thursday, August 9, 2012

Calling

Long after the sun goes down I spend my time wandering, searching, looking for what always alludes me.  As I wander the voices keep coming, soft and gentle, luring me further in to the depths of the forest.  What do they want with me and why do they keep calling?  Why do I keep following?

Goodnight on Fairie Swamp Garden
Goodnight on Fairie Swamp Garden (Photo credit: echoroo)
I can hear them now, their sound so gentle it almost lures me into believing I am so safe and so loved that nothing else matters.  Warmth flows over me, filling me with just joy I can't believe there is anything sinister in their calling.  It is almost as if sweet romance is in the air, calling and beckoning me to take a leap of faith and just fall all in... all into the peace and serenity and soft comfort of their words.

But their words are not all that leads me deeper into the forest, but the words give light!  It is a pure light, one can not fully explain but one that can only be felt.  It is a light that gives warmth and satisfaction every time you glimpse it.  It is a light that gives hope in the midst of the darkness.  It is a light that makes you feel safe and whole and free, one that never leaves you alone or forsakes you.

As I go deeper, wandering into the forest I am greeted nightly by this beautiful light and melodic voice and each night the outcome is the same. I find myself lying softly in a bed of moss staring eagerly into the sky waiting for them, knowing they are there because they beckoned me there this night, just like every other night.  I close my eyes and they surround me filling me with love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control... I have felt them before, and they are a welcome guest.

My spirit leaps with excitement and expectation, because they are there... bringing with them all I need and all I will ever want.  Without them I am nothing and never will be. Each night I go with expectation, and each night I am embarrassed because my expectation is never high enough to match the the moments that happen deep in the darkness of those woods.  My expectations are always so small compared to the gift lavished upon me.

Long after the sun goes down... the world quiets and only then am I free to go wandering, searching and looking for my true desires...  only then do I find them.







(The above was written for Free Write Friday using what is called stream of consciousness writing, no editing, no proofing just write!,  [ Writing prompt ~ It’s after midnight. You find yourself in an eerie yet, magical swamp. You hear whispering and see flashes of light…what happens? ] Please check out Kellie Elmore's blog  for more information on Free Write Friday's, twitter hashtag #FWF and join the fun!  Just write!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to FWF, Carrie! Happy to have you joining us!

This is a beautiflly penned story, you completely immersed me in your words and the imagery you so delightfully described. I felt contentment and peace as i could not help but read it slowly and drink it all in.
Lovely contribution! Thanks for writing with us!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE where you took the prompt, Carrie! What a beautiful and uplifting story!

Carri said...

Thank you so much Kellie and Charles! I was a joy to do and fun to just let it roll however it came.

I have been gone all day so I look forward to reading everyone's tomorrow!

Blessings,
Carri

Maleko said...

My spirit leaps with excitement and expectation, because they are there...

I love that line as we so often do not acknowledge their presence. You are truly gifted, nice job!

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a wonderfully and caring little world you have created here, and one I would hope to see myself one day. Magnificent!

Carri said...

Thank you so much Shadetheraven! I am honored by your comment. Blessings!