Saturday, August 27, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal #3!

In our homeschool this week...

This week we focused on getting started.  It has been interesting figuring out when is best for both me and my daughter.  When does she learn best, when am I at my best?  All good questions that I still don't know the answer to.   :)   

We were not rigid on school this week though because it was one of the hottest weeks on record for us "this year"... and that isn't saying much.  We were actually in the 80s most the week so I couldn't keep her from playing when we had this wonderful weather.  Most of our summer has been in the high 60s and low 70s... so one of the benefits with homeschool in my opinion is flexibility!  I know it won't be beautiful for long, so I am taking advantage of those days that are and not feeling guilty about it.

Things I am working on.... 

I love photography so I have been working on my website (click here to check out my site).  It is a blast and I would love feedback. 

While working on my photography I ran across a painting that made me remember a dream and wrote about it on my blog.  It is called "Visitation."  I was blessed to remember such a special time.

I am also taking another writing workshop on how to write memoirs so I am excited about that.

The third thing I am working on is a certification course I need to have to be able to teach my daughter in the state of WA.  I have schooling but it is technical school so they don't recognize my degree.  So now I have to become certified by reading a bunch of stuff, writing a book report, and taking an essay test.  There is more to it than that, but it means a lot of reading and work on top of my homeschooling, 2 businesses I run, all the other regular homemaking activities.  Little stressed about this.  I only have 30 days to complete it.


I am reading....

For my certification course one of the books I am reading for my book report is "The Unschooling Handbook"  by Mary Griffith.  So far very interesting.





The other book I am reading is "Get Out of That Pit" by Beth Moore.  So far I love it, even though I just finished chapter one!








My picture of the week....

This picture was taken two weeks ago at the Western Washington Fair.  There was a pirate show that was really about parrots and these were two of the parrots that were resting in the trees not far away from the pirate ship.  They clearly love each other and it was a sweet picture.  I hope you enjoy!



If you love to write and share about your journey as a homeschool mother, click on the signature below that says "The Homeschool Mother's Journal" and join along.  Lots of amazing moms out there! 

2 comments:

Angel said...

Hi Carrie!
I'm glad to be able to keep up with your homeshooling journey! I also love the flexibility!I didn't realize you have to be certified to homeschool in WA!
Thanks for sharing your week!

Carri said...

Hi Angel! Yep, you have to be certified. If you have a certain amount of hours of college that certifies you, however my schooling is a technical school. Bummer. Oh well, it is a good experience for me anyway. When you guys move and if you want to continue homeschooling then make sure you check state rules, each state is different.

How is your homeschooling journey going? Do you have a blog too?

Love you kiddo, miss you very much!